Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Sail and Life Training Society




In July of 1987 (Jul 13-22) I traveled aboard a Brigantine called the Spirit of Chemainus with the S.A.L.T.S. (Sail and Life Training Society) program. This program is alive and well still. ( http://www.salts.ca ) I still have fond and vivid memories from this trip 22 years later. That should give you an idea of the impact it had on me and I was only able to attend one summer. The ship was 92 ft long, small compared to the Robertson II that was 102 ft long that sailed with us, but being a square sail ship the "Spirit" was unique. I don't know what lead me to suddenly look into the program again but I have some of the pictures hanging in my office still. I dug through an box in the attic and found a letter from a shipmate Andrea Hoyt from after the trip. Maybe she will find this post and we can reconnect the memories. Enjoy the pictures!

No comments: